In a surprising discovery, researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University have determined that vitamin C kills drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) bacteria in laboratory culture. The finding suggests that vitamin C added to existing TB drugs could shorten TB therapy, and it highlights a new area for drug design. TB is caused by infection with the bacterium M. ...
At long last, there's pie again at Bragg's Pie Factory. A new vegan cafe has opened in the very spot out of which the Bragg family originally sold cakes and pies in the '40s and ...
Topless protest at church A Femen activist protested in Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral on Wednesday, one day after far-right historian Dominique Venner committed suicide inside. Venner shot himself at the altar in front of around 1,500 visitors. Venner condemned both same-sex marriage and Islamist influence in France in writings before his death. The now infamous topless protesters released ...
For Larrive Guitars, the publicity was quite literally out of this world, and the dollar value from it continues to add up.Images of Canadian astronaut Commander Chris Hadfield playing its Vancouver-made Parlor guitar sparked enough interest for the company to put the model back into production for a limited edition. The company has $100,000 in orders already for the commemorative model, which ...
The Monday tornado that leveled a 20-mile stretch south of Oklahoma City, with winds exceeding 200 miles per hour, brings back harrowing memories of the deadly tornado that ripped apart Joplin, Missouri, exactly two years ago ...
83.2°F Partly Cloudy
Winds: From the ENE at 4.0 MPH Gusting to 4.0 MPH
Oceans, a French documentary distributed stateside by Disney as part of its ongoing series of ecologically minded nature documentaries that coincide with each years Earth Day, is a beautiful--at times breathtaking--visual examination of the undersea world, whose seemingly limitless potentia ... ...
There's a fungus among us --a hundred different species in fact--and nearly all take up residence on our feet, according to a study that appears in the ...
In today's business world, disruption is a constant force that never lets up. At the annual WIRED Business Conference: Disruptive by Design, we celebrate the creative power of bold new ideas and the people that make them happen. See the event ...
The elliptical galaxy NGC 4150. Observation of a merger between two galaxies early in the life of the Universe could explain the origin of large elliptical ...
TOMSK, May 22 (RIA Novosti) – Russia’s new reusable spacecraft that is being developed by the Energia Rocket and Space Corporation will be able to make up to five space flights, the rocket maker said on Wednesday. The spacecraft’s technical design has been finalized but is yet to be officially approved, Energia deputy general designer Alexander Chernyavsky said on the ...
EARTH is shoving the moon away faster now than it has done for most of the past 50 million years, says a new model for the way tides influence the lunar orbit. The result helps solve a mystery concerning the moon's age that has long vexed ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Venetian Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas
In the middle of the Strip, and opposite the Mirage and Treasure Island is the Venetian, adjacent to its sister ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Cincinnati SunCincinnati Sun – City of Cincinnati News
The Cincinnati Sun is essentially a local Cincinnati newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Cincinnati, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Cincinnati, Ohio, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Cincinnati Sun.
University of Cincinnati researchers have identified a number of biomarkers for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), which could help with earlier diagnosis and intervention in those who have not yet shown symptoms.
This finding was made possible by using the Department of Defense Serum Repository (DoDSR).
The DoDSR is a biological repository operated by the U.S. Department of Defense and contains over 50 million human serum specimens, collected primarily from applicants to and members of the U.S. uniformed services.
This discovery, the first of its kind and led by UC's Bruce Yacyshyn, MD, is being presented via podium presentation by staff from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center at Digestive Disease Week 2013, being held May 18-21 in Orlando, Fla.
"With collaborators from Walter Reed, we were able to identify all of the active duty service men and women who developed IBD and then used the repository to go back and look at various biomarkers to see what each person had in common," said Yacyshyn, a professor of medicine at the UC College of Medicine and UC Health gastroenterologist.
IBD is a group of inflammatory conditions of the colon and small intestine. The main types of IBD are Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis; inflammatory bowel diseases are considered autoimmune diseases in which the body's own immune system attacks elements of the digestive system. ...
- Hunt becomes seventh Bengals draft pick to sign
- Jets QB Geno Smith picks Jay-Zs agency as new rep
- Get to Know Nick Kasa
- PFT Crabtree reportedly tears achilles out for year
- Bears star linebacker Brian Urlacher announces his retirement
- Banks still want big bailouts
- My view UDOT listened made a good choice
- Graduate in four years Yeah right.
- Huntsman calls for crackdown on intellectual property theft says Washington Post
- The war on journalism
- Gunmen kill 12 Iraqis in attack on brothel
- Oz women cricketers Down Under on top of world after hefty pay-hike
- Do-or-die for India women against Chinese Taipei
- Number of Afghan women jailed for moral crimes increasing says human rights group
- Women should enjoy their sexuality says Heather Graham
- FBI kill Florida man known to Boston bombing suspects
- US Senate panel clears key immigration reform bill
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Home Minister Shinde in Washington India seeks access to Rana Headley
- GrubHub and Seamless to merge
- China may act againt EU wine imports
- Pali Wine Co. Contracts Huber Vineyard
- New Jersey Operation Swill caught 29 bars restaurants replacing cheap liquor for premium
- On a diet New restaurants menu features items 475 calories or less
- Dannii Minogue calls fame awful
- JLo to perform on Britains Got Talent
- US singer sues McDonalds over piece of glass in chicken sandwich
- Kanye West has been pushing me to return to music says Will Smith
- Amy Winehouse foundation raises 1.9 mn pounds annually
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Cincinnati Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Biomarkers for inflammatory bowel disease uncovered
- Bengals sign 2nd-round draft pick
- Ohio Indiana Warn Of Toxic Weed
- Man Accidentally Drives Car Into Pond in Florence
- Competition opens to be Bengals backup QB